We are so excited for the warmer weather! Aside from shopping for your new spring wardrobe, have you thought of the different hair styles to try this season?
There are a ton of hair trends out there but we browsed though them all and picked out our favorites. Whether you are looking for a fun messy up-do or simply want to add a little “something” to your straight hair style – the Spring 2013 runway shows provided a few looks that won’t cost you a fortune or take up a lot of your time.
Regardless of your hair length, short or long locks, these different styles are a quick way to get out the door and off to enjoy your sunny day. Breeze through looks from Marni, Balmain, and Bottega Veneta by embracing the messy chic look. Simply throw your hair up in a ponytail or bun and leave any access pieces (use bobby pins to hold back any unwanted hair and try to avoid a ton of hair product with this style). Finish off with a light spritz of hair spray and you are good to go!
DVF totally nailed the rocker waves. If you have hair that curls easily, try curling your hair in bigger pieces to avoid the “curly sue” look. If that doesn’t work, try curling your hair with a flat iron (twist away from your face). Add shaping product that does not have a strong hold allowing your hair to give off a more relaxed look.
For a more polished approach, Etro, Emilio Pucci, Herver Leger, and Erdem decided they wanted to pair their collections with sleek hairstyles. Smooth and straight was the focus. Herver Leger and Emilio Pucci pinned some pieces back and secured the hair-do with a single pin or braid. Etro added a long black ribbon accessory to their low pony while Erdem made a classic statement with their sleek bun. With these hairstyles you will want to include a smoothing serum and light hairspray after you are done flat ironing. No frizz or fly aways here!!
When looking to the future of Spring 2013, some of you may have already noticed there are a few trends from 2012 that are still standing their ground. Leather, lace, sexy suiting and color blocking are here to stay! But which new trends are starting to peek their way through and claim their trend territory? Stripes, cropped tops, caged garments, sheer fabrics and ruffles!! Yes, I said it! Ruffles! but not to fear, these aren’t the heinous body cringing kind you can only image on some 80′s bridesmaids dress but the one’s designed by Gucci, Givenchy, and Chloe – and those are definitely not ones to run from. Although we are not going to talk about the other trends in this post does not mean we wont obsess over them on another day…Diane von Furstenburg and Jason Wu we are coming for you!
(3.1 Phillip Lim, Balenciaga, Derek Lam, Balmain)
1. Bare Mid-Drifts
There was a bit more skin on the runway this season than usual. Cropped tops and exposed mid-drifts were definitely eye catching and daring. There are variety of ways to get out there and show some skin- either go in the direction of minimal coverage like Balenciaga and 3.1 Pillip Lim showcasing your fabulous bralette and baring it all or if you are not feeling as brave then follow in the footsteps of Derek Lam and Balmain for a more concealed approach.
(Bagdley Mischka, Dior, Anne Valerie Hash, Carolina Herrera)
2. Sheer Coverage
Although there was a ton of leather this year, there was still room for the soft feminine garments. See-through fabrics were a big hit! Whether it be a long dress by Bagdley Mischka or a fun short printed mini by Dior, this season provided you with endless options to include a feminine touch to your outfit. If you are wearing structured pieces – like suiting, a sheer top by Anne Valerie Hash or Carolina Herrera can be used to soften up your ensamble.
(Marc Jacobs, Dior, Dolce and Gabbana, Alberta Ferretti)
3. Stripe Me Down
Stripes, either you love them or you hate them. The good thing about this season is that everyone will want to try and embrace this trend. There are too many variations of stripes for one not to include in their wardrobe essentials. If you are a curvier girl you will want to go in the direction of the vertical, thinner stripes to elongate your body like the one by Alberta Ferretti. For the girls who want to add a little more shape to their bodies, you will want to focus on the horizontal stripes such as the ones by Marc Jacobs and Dior. This will accentuate your curves and make you appear a little wider in those certain areas
(Thakoon, Herve Leger, Gucci, Alexander McQueen)
4. Caged Combo’s
Aside from the sweet feminine garments, caged inspired pieces were showcased to dominate. Whether it be with something flowy like the jumper by Thakoon or something strong, bold, and structured like the piece by Alexander Mcqueen. Herve Leger decided to add the lazer cut topper to one of his fitted bandage dresses while Gucci had more of a delicate vision for their caged combo and paired it with softer materials.
(Givenchy, Acne, Chloe, Gucci)
5. Fru-Fru Fabulous!
Ok, on to the trend we thought we would be scared of. We see them on many different silhouettes from a long tube dress by Gucci to the soft accents by Givenchy. Acne created a fun bell sleeve with ruffles for their suit jacket while Chloe kept it sweet and girly draping it across their one sleeve garment. Don’t go too overboard with this trend. Too much ruffle may add weight in unwanted areas, keep it simple and keep it classy.
Man-o-man has it been a while since we have put up a new post! We thought we would get back into the swing of things by starting off with some of our favorite beauty trends of the season. Haute Obsessions Beauty Editor Tim Liu not only talks about how much he adores full brows and a burgundy lip but also provides insite on how to apply these beauty obsessed products. From the runways to red carpet to your holiday makeup kit, Tim Liu sparks our interest to try products we may have been afraid to try before.
1. The Morning After: What is the morning after look? Take on a nude very pale lid with minmal lash liner, a neutral shadow swept across the lower lash line (for highlight), and light mascara of course. “Stila Waterproof Smudge Sticks” can be used both as a liner, or if applied with a brush, can be a cream shadow as well. Try using a white gel liner, “Napoleon Perdis China Doll Gel Liner – Alabaster‘, in the lower waterline for a more avant garde look.
2. Oxblood: This rich deep hue has been everywhere this season, whether it be fashion or beauty. Designers Christian Siriano and Gucci both showed their love for the color in their 2012 Fall/Winter Collections. “YSL Rouge Volupte Lipstick in #12 Forbidden Burgundy” is the perfect color for any night out this season. The color speaks sexy, yet excites curiosity.
3. Luscious Lashes: “Fluttery will get you everywhere” says Napoleon Perdis. Bold lashes is a trend that’ll be in season after season. Chanel recently launched “Le Volume de Chanel Mascara” has a wand with soft yet full bristles to coat every lash yet keeping them detangled, amazing for creating a bold lash look!
4. Pantone 19-1012: Pantone’s Fall 2012 fashion color report included French Roast as one of their colors for this season. The best interpretation of this color is Napoleon Perdis’ Color Disc in “Espresso To Go“, it’s a matte brown that can be used in many different ways, great as a crease color to create contour for the eyes, but try using a small flat shadow brush and sweep the color underneath the lower lash line to add smokiness to the eyes.
5. Bold Brows: This season full brows are back in! keep them full yet trimmed! If a little help is needed, “Dior Show Brow Styler Ultra-fine Brow Pencil” is the perfect product to give you that full brow effect. The pencil is a twist-up, very thin and light in color, making it easier to draw on natural looking brows.
As we begin to see retailer’s transition their summer wardrobe into fall we can only become more excited about what the next season has in store for us. Newsstands are grabbing our attention with headlines such as “Fall Preview” and “Fall Must-Haves” that only increase our curiosity to continue to flip through the pages. Darker hues are making more of a presence as we see neon slowly fading out. With Fall right around the corner, we have noticed leather is not going anywhere and is going to be a big hit for the rest of the year! One designer who has implemented a lot of leather into their Fall 2012 Collection is designer Jad Ghandour. Born in Lebanon, this up and coming designer made his debut on the runways of Miami Fashion Week in 2010. Continuing to push boundaries with his unique prints and detailing create a bold romantic look that can not only be worn in high fashion editorials but on a fashion forward woman who is not afraid to step out of the box and demand attention.
Jad Ghandour has not just limited himself to clothing but has expanded his talents into the accessory department. Shoes, handbags, gloves, and other accessories were the finishing touches that completed each look presented on the runway. Aside from leather textiles - Crinkle Chiffon, Crepe De Chine, and Wool were also key ingredients for his Fall Collection “C’est Chic”. Blending the soft fabrics with other edgy materials define his Femme Fetale style which is why he was chosen to be in our Designer Spotlight this month. Flowy gowns with structured detailing, short dresses followed by sexy sophisticated suiting….opposites really do attract
To celebrate Napoleon Perdis’ Launch at select Nordstrom stores, I want to share my top 5 favorite products. Napoleon Perdis is a brand and a person that is very close to my heart, I started out in the industry with his guidance and if it weren’t for Napoleon Perdis, a beautiful line of cosmetics, I wouldn’t be able to do the beautiful work I do today.
1. Pre-Foundation Primer – “Not to Primer is a Crime” – NAPOLEON $42: I absolutely adore this primer; I personally use this product every day. It has a silicone free texture, which means it will not feel slick and greasy on your skin, great for those who have oily skin, but it has a great amount of Vitamin E to hydrate those who might need a little extra hydration. Chamomile and Yarrow extract calm the skin from any redness and reactivates any moisturizers used before the primer. With this primer, you’ll discover hydrated, radiant and smooth foundation finish that lasts all day!
2. Bronze Patrol & 3. Blush Patrol $50: These Paraben-free blush and bronzer create the perfect sculpted cheeks when used together. Rich in pigment yet easy to blend creates the perfect color combination along with the perfect natural glow. Using the tip of a tapered blush brush, sweep the Bronze patrol at the hallows of your cheeks blending towards to temples to create an “L” shaped contour, then using the flat side of your brush gently sweep the Blush patrol downwards towards the contour starting from the apples of the cheeks working the color up to the temples. Using what is left on your brush, sweep forehead, chin and nose for a sun-kissed glow.
4. Sheer Genius Foundation – “Foundation with an IQ” – NAPOLEON $59: There is not another foundation like this out there! This foundation has a matte finish with a slight sheen on the skin, the coverage is medium to full, very buildable. Hydro-gel technology is the secret to this foundation; it glides on smoothly, dries quickly and leaves only a thin veil of pigment on the skin which provides incredible coverage. This foundation is so light in texture that it comes with a metal ball in the bottle that stirs up the pigments before your application!
5. High Definition Foundation & Concealer Brush – G20 $49: Best foundation brush ever! The bullet design helps foundation glide smoothly onto the skin, and is able to get into every corner and crevasse of the skin to make sure you have a flawless coverage. This brush is made with synthetic hair, which means you can use this brush for any wet products including your facial creams, primers, foundations and concealers.
6. Marshmallow Foaming Makeup Remover “Chill for a Thrill” – NAPOLEON $25: With every great makeup, you’ll need a great makeup remover to take it off at the end of the day. This easy to use and highly effective makeup remover will take everything off your skin and out of your pores with just a few pumps! This foaming remover when applied to dry skin can remove all your makeup with a simple wipe of a tissue or rinse off with water, follow with your regular favorite facial cleanser.
Aside from the previous neon post focusing on fashion we thought we would shine the spotlight towards some of our favorite neon hues you can try for your face! **Remember** When you wear these bright shades apply a minimal amount. Pair your neon makeup with neutral tones to balance out your look. If you want an intense lip, make the rest of your makeup softer and vice versa if you want to concentrate more on your eyes. Haute Obsessions Beauty Editor Tim Liu came up with some bright ideas for you to try this season.
1. Dior – Vernis – (Acapulco & Calypso): Looking for the perfect polish for that perfect yellow polka-dot bikini? Vernis #118 by Christian Dior is a vibrantly beautiful neon yellow that would compliment any skin tone and would definitely make a statement! This polish also comes in neon pink; every girl needs a perfect pink polish!
2. YSL – Rouge Volupte – (Provocative Pink): Looking for the perfect neon pink? One of my favorite neon picks to sizzle up those sexy lips for the summer is from the YSL Rouge Volupte Collection. It is a highly pigmented line of lipsticks with high staying and staining power, try these colors and you’ll be addicted!
3. Urban Decay – 24/7 Glide-on Eye Pencils – (Woodstock and Graffiti): Neon eyeliner is probably the least dramatic way of wearing neon. A thin line could definitely make your eyes pop! You can also use a smudging brush to smudge the liner on the lower lash line from thick to thin starting at the outer corner of the lash line. For more pop, try dabbing a similar color shadow on top of the liner.
4. Kevyn Aucoin – The Pure Powder Glow – (Myracle): If you’ve got the cheeks, show them off! Kevyn Aucoin’s line of Pure Powder Glow will sure make a statement with your cheeks! Colors from neon pink to bright orange red. My favorite happens to be the neon pink color – Myracle. You can use this color lightly with a stippling brush or a fan brush, or you can make a true fashion statement by packing on the color and blending it with a contour to give your cheeks the ultimate definition!
Printed, neon, nylon, and fringe are just a few of the many different style handbags that complete our summer ensembles. Aside from the casual chic cross body bags, totes have been one of Haute Obsessions must haves this season. Used to carry all of your beach necessities or just all of the “things” girls won’t leave home without. Totes have an open top sturdy structure with a generous amount of room. This season, designers have provided us with a variety of different prints and materials to accommodate any summer outing.
1. Diane von Furstenberg – Kaya Printed Canvas Tote: The patent leather tubular handles and canvas shoulder straps are durable enough to carry magazines, books, and laptops. Your day can be relaxing and productive with this perfect poolside tote.
2. Tory Burch – Jesse Tory Tote: Keep your belongings dry this season with this great Tory Burch Tote. It’s PVC material prevents the splash from getting in while you’re out playing in the waves.
3. Marc by Marc Jacobs – Pretty Nylon Tote: This lightweight nylon tote is suitable for just about anyones handbag preference. Wear it to help tone down a loud print or take on more of a minimalist approach and pair it with something muted and subtle to add a simple “pop” of color.
4. Brahmin – Frankie Chevron Stripe Tote: Chevron stripes and a bit of fringe are a boho girls favorites when putting together her outfit. Pair with maxi’s, cropped tops, an oversized floppy hat, and sandals and you’re showcasing an effortless chic style. The neon stripes combined with a soft grey hue arrange a fine design that won’t steal all of the attention from your overall look.